Interview with Josh Humbert
Kamoka Pearls, hyperventilation, visualization for spearfishing and even a severe code brown story! This interview with Josh Humbert has a hell of a lot of nuggets in it and not just brown ones. We discuss his early beginnings in the ocean and encountering a complete lack of information which resulted in a near miss that helped him to take his approach to freediving and spearfishing a little differently. I seriously encourage you to listen into an experienced waterman share some hard won tips and insights in this Noob Spearo Podcast interview.
Listen and subscribe to the Noob Spearo Podcast on Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Podbean
Spearfishing News and Updates
- Spearfishing NSW LOCKOUT: Read more about it here
- STOP the Lockout Group on Facebook here
- Kamoka Pearls Discount Code – perfect gift for the woman in your life. Use the code noob15 to save 15%
- How to cook Squid and Abalone – Underwater Ally Video Guide
- North Shore Underwater Club – Sydney Spearfishing Club for New Divers
- Do the right thing – learn your local rules | Miami Herald story here
- Near miss – blackout rescue and resuscitation | Palm Beach Post story here
- Man shoots himself in the foot – Speargun safety | Story here
- Free Audiobook – 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing audio guide here!
- Spearo Log is available on Amazon!
- 99 Tips Softcover is available on Amazon!
- Indiegogo still have the hardcover/spearo log combo here but if you want to avoid postage!
These spearfishing retailers now have 99 Tips in stock!! (let your retailer know that they should stock it!)
- Adreno Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and now Perth
- Spearfishing Superstore Cairns
- Dive Shop Port Lincoln
Josh Humbert Interview Timestamps
13:00 Josh’s background and early beginnings in the ocean and spearfishing. He caught his first fish at 2 years old!
22:00 Early obstacles – lack of information. Hyperventilating and a near miss
29:45 Most memorable fish
33:05 Portland spearfishing – species, prevailing conditions, issues, and places to go
Hunting technique – bottom time approach on Jacks
49:25 Scariest moment
55:40 Veterans Vault – Visualization for Spearfishing
- What is Visualization?
- How does it apply to spearfishing?
- What are some of the benefits of visualization?
- How do you do it effectively?
- What does your visualization process look like?
- How long do you spend doing this?
66:10 What is funniest moment you’ve had out spearfishing?
70:50 What is in your spearfishing divebag?
72:30 Spearo Q&A – Turbo’s Turds
- What does the spearfishing mean to you in one sentence?
- If you had to start spearfishing all over again, what would you do differently?
- What is the spearfishing destination that you haven’t visited that you would like to?
- If guys are going to dive Tahiti where should they go?
Connect with Josh Humbert @
- On Instagram | Twitter
- Kamoka Pearls use the code noob15 to save 15%
- Josh’s Underwater and surf photography portfolio
A mess of new double band deer leather Archipelago bracelets with outrageous colors. . . . . . #sustainablefashion #jewelryaddict #sustainablepearls #sustainablejewelry #ecojewelry #oceanlovers #mermaidlife #pearljewelry #tahiti #handmade #oneofakind #lovepearls #beautifuljewelry #naturalgemstone #naturalcolor #sustainablelifestyle #tropicallife #tribal #ethicalfashion #sustainableluxury #ethicaljewelry #finejewelry #independentdesigner #fairtrade #fairtradefashion #fairtradejewelry #finepearls #pearllovers #madeintahiti #madeinpdx
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trialhere. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. Email [email protected] for a super deal for downunder spearos (Australia/New Zealand/South Africa)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here. Check out the latest in spearfishing fin technology
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here