Interview with Josh Pederson from ThisOceanLifeTV
Josh joins me (Shrek) to give the lowdown about how to take a kid spearfishing but that’s not all. He recounts a recent adventure bluewater hunting for the first time and shares some of the key takeaways from his trip. If you are into water sports along with your spearfishing then you need to meet Josh. He interviews watermen and women from multiple pursuits like SUP riding long distance, surfers, and more on his show called ThisOceanLifeTV Podcast – check it out….right after you listen to this interview!
10:40 All about Josh’s show ThisOceanLifeTV Podcast
17:00 The love affair with all things water begins
21:00 Recent bluewater trip chasing Bluefin Tuna. Key takeaways and the anticipation.
37:10 The challenge of spearfishing with a focus on central California. Species, water temps and seasonal variations.
45:00 How do you deal with Leg Cramp? Endurolyte type tablet on Amazon here. Building leg strength in the gym also helps reduce cramp spearfishing according to Josh.
52:00 Hunting Cabezon tips. Often searching shallow yields the best fish. So wear a little extra weight and stay just outside the breaking surf zone. Josh recommends using a pole spear and keeping your body super compact.
57:45 Toughest situation in the ocean for Josh was paddling out into huge surf and not having a large enough board and more importantly multiple exit points. His advice is spending more time planning and checking your ego at the door.
64:00 VETERANS VAULT: How to take a kid spearfishing
- First up: What is a good rule of thumb for minimum age/capability etc?
- What crucial things do they need to know before they hit the water?
- What rules do you give them to keep them safe?
- What do you let them do?
- What kind of location is ideal for taking kids out?
- How do you get them to shoot that first fish?
- Do you need to help them frame the experience?
- What kind of things are important to teach them about spearfishing with regards to hunting ethics, valuing the ocean, respect etc?
93:00 What has been your funniest moment out spearfishing?
97:00 Spearo Q&A
- “Spearfishing is an intimate connection with the ocean.” – Josh Pederson
- Dave Bennei is Joshs favorite person to go spearfishing with.
- The White Sea Bass is a future goal fish for him.
So check out Joshs Podcast at https://thisoceanlifetv.podbean.com/
These spearfishing retailers now have 99 Tips in stock!!
Australian Spearfishing Retail Stores
- Adreno – Brisbane. 56 Deshon St, Woolloongabba QLD 4102
- Adreno – Melbourne. 1184 Nepean Hwy, Cheltenham VIC 3192
- Adreno – Sydney. 1/678-682 Botany Rd, Alexandria NSW 2015
- Adreno – Perth. 2C / 376 South St, O’Connor, WA, 6163
- Spearfishing Superstore – Cairns. 303-305 Draper St, Parramatta Park QLD 4870
- The Dive Shop – Port Lincoln. 4 S Quay Blvd, Port Lincoln SA 5606
- Frogdive – Willoughby. 539 Willoughby Rd, NSW 2068
- Spear and Fish Downunder – Newcastle. 990 Hunter street. Newcastle, NSW 2302
- Spear West – 2/1 Baden Street, Osborne Park. Western Australia. 6017
- Extreme Spearfishing – 1/539 Pitwater Road Brookevale, Sydney NSW 2100
USA Spearfishing Retail Stores
- The Dive Source – Florida 16 #2, 3721, St Augustine, Florida
- Oregon Freediving Company – Oregon City 919 7th St, Oregon
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trialhere. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing or James Nestors ‘Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and what the ocean tells us about ourselves’ free
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. Email email@example.com for a super deal for downunder spearos (Australia/New Zealand/South Africa)
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here. Check out the latest in spearfishing fin technology
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
Sign up for ‘The Floater’ – Shrek and Turbo’s email newsletter here
Join the Noob Spearo Community on Facebook