Interview with 4 Marine Scientists
This chat is a panel interview with 4 people passionate and highly educated in Marine Science. We chat about fish fecundity, parasites, equilibrium, threats to the ocean, and best of all, how you can get involved making our oceans healthier. Listen in to a great yarn:)
Download this episode on your iOS or Android APP here
- Irene Middleton: Currently completing a PHD in Marine Biology. Specialist in Weird and Unusual Fish Species Research. What’s that fish FB Group in New Zealand.
- Libby Liggins: Lecturer at Massey University. Also spears a wee bit. Marine Biologist.
- David Aguirre: Libby’s Husband: Invertebrates Geek. Spearo as well. Marine Biologist.
- Blair Herbert: Fish Nerd and gatherer of weird and wonderful species.
- Isaac aka Shrek (Host): Hopefully asks a few good questions:)
04:30 Personal Introductions, Specialties & Passions
09:00 Whats that Fish Facebook Group | tracking fish species and range data using crowdsourced info
13:55 Aging fish. Otoliths and other methods
16:30 How Marine Scientists like Libby, Irene and David collect and collate the data
18:20 What are the changes Scientists are observing in the ocean and its inhabitants?
21:30 Purple Urchin | Decimated Tasmanian Abalone. The Kina/Sea Urchin Barren Phenomena
28:30 Basic Marine Biology Concepts
- Equilibrium and Marine Ecosystems
- The Food Chain in the Marine Environment
- Governance and how people interact with the ocean
33:10 How can spearos get more involved in helping good ocean management?
- Join your local Whats that Fish or Redmap and share your catch information
36:30 Shifting Baseline Phenomena
39:00 Researching Bait
45:30 Parasites and Disease in Fish and Marine Species
57:35 What do Marine Scientists think are the biggest threats to the Marine Environment?
62:30 Where can people connect with you guys
- Whats that Fish Facebook Group
- RedMap | Spot fish, Log Info, Map
- Te Papa New Zealand Fish Species Collection
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save:)
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation |Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBSPEARO to save!