Spearfishing Conservation with James, David , Etoile ‘ET’ and Blair | Conservation, Social Media & Sharks
This episode is an extremely wide ranging chat recorded on Blair Herbert’s Matakana porch. It was awesome to arrive in New Zealand and partake of Blair’s awesome hospitality and record this first interview at his place. The conversation focuses on Spearfishing Conservation and related topics but we digress…..a lot.
Blair is an avid spearo with a background is Fisheries Management. David Dupavillon is an experienced spearfishing guide and Splash Spearfishing Team Member. ET is knowledgeable and well researched in many facets of the worlds oceans and it’s inhabitants. She is currently completing a degree in Marine Biology and is a shark conservationist. James Beckman was my travel buddy and he’s also been a past guest on the show (listen here to learn more about him). Everyone loves spearfishing:)
I really enjoyed this chat and my entire trip to New Zealand in early March, 2020. Thank you to the PATRON listeners who made it happen!
05:25 Introductions and background information
- David Dupavillon @daviedupav
- Etoile Smulders ET @captain_smulders
- Blair Herbert @blrhrb
- James Beckman @southernspearfishing
19:44 About New Zealand Spearfishing. Species, Biomass and Variety
25:00 Kina aka Sea Urchin | Pest or Delicacy?
30:17 Social Media and Spearfishing | Are we converting people to a better way of life?
38:38 Great fisheries initiatives | Melbourne Crayfish Tagging
47:30 Exploitation of people as slave labour on International Fishing Vessels
52:30 Sharks and Fishing | Why can’t we hunt them?
62:30 Fisheries Management | How could it be done better?
96:20 Words of Wisdom
- Eat What You Kill Facebook Community
- NZ Spearo Community on Facebook
- The Wholefish Cookbook by Josh Niland
- Noob Spearo Patreon Page
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save:)
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBSPEARO to save!
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation |Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’