This episode covers Ricardo’s spearfishing experience from soup to nuts. Ranging from his Father teaching him some original spearo concepts to tossing his children a mask and snorkel, you’ll have to listen to learn about everything in-between!
Big thanks to Ricardo for sharing his spearfishing experience with the NS community!
Rio De Janeiro, and what being a spear there implicates. His father is a prominent figure in his early spearfishing experiences! Ricardo has been spearing since about 10 years old! He’s currently passing on the talent to his daughter starting with a snorkeling trip to Mexico in Playa Del Carmen! If we could all be so lucky to have a Pops like that!
10:00 Early struggles spearfishing
- Learning hunting techniques – practice, trial, and error
- Diving in an informed location – marine conservation in Brazil is relatively new
- Learned early on to look for groups of spearos – a tip from Noob Spearo!
- Learning how to hunt Parrotfish!
- Learning how to deal with sharks…!
26:00 Memorable catches
The fish I’m most proud of, a hunt in Indonesia, staying at a Surf Resort. Giant Trevally, no reel, no buoy, the fish was pulling me down. It was an absolutely epic fight! Ricardo also enjoys hunting (and eating) Grouper; they’re a big target species in Brazil.
35:00 Veterans Vault: The Importance of Being Safe
- “I never knew about the risks involved when I started, but listening to other spearos and spearo communities has really informed me about how unsafe my diving actually was.”
- Keeping the snorkel out of mouth during dives
- Concentration and rest – “When it’s too easy, it’s time to stop”
- Meditate/relax prior to, and during dives. Lower your heart rate.
- Proper knife positioning is important – you never know when you’ll have difficulty accessing your tools during a dive
- Always dive with safety-conscious buddies! Even though we always know we are supposed to do so, we often slip into bad habits
- Pay attention to your bottom times, and always, *always* exercise proper top time
- Sustainability – a proper code of ethics is always a good idea. Look after your environment, pick up after yourself, and above all be a good steward of wildlife and natural resources
- Be selective about hunting, follow your instincts and only shoot what’s legal and proper
- Use the whole fish (Whole fish cookbook made by some blokes in AUS)
52:00 Equipment Bag
New Hammerhead Mask w/GoPro mount on the top. Had some issues initially, but I finally got it working properly. Composite OMER fins, generic dive knives, and recently got a new gun. RIFFE travel gun that deconstruct with a threaded shaft that also comes apart.
57:00 Connecting with Ricardo
Find me on Instagram!
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
- Ted Harty’s Roadmap to Frenzel – Get full access to the Roadmap to Frenzel equalizing class (If you can’t frenzel in 30 days, get a full refund!) 15% Discount Code go to NoobSpearo.com/Ted
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBSPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
Immersion Online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.ImmersionFreediving.com
- 28-day Freediving Transformation – Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks, you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a free diver. Additionally, learn the proven strategies competitive free divers use to strengthen their performance.
- Equalization Masterclass – If you are free diver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to Valsalva and hello to Frenzel and make equalizing easy.
- Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving – 19 one-hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
- Free online courses – How to take a 20-30% bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
- View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.ImmersionFreediving.com