Download This Episode
The Path Of The Jedi – The Benthic Boys – Mike Pooler & Joe D’Agostino
The Path Of The Jedi – The Benthic Boys – Mike Pooler & Joe D’Agostino | Mike Pooler is the owner/operator of Benthic Ocean Sports in Destin, Florida; and Joe D’Agostino is his chief Freediving Instructor International (FII) Instructor there. Additionally, Benthic Ocean Sports services all freediving Spearo needs for the Florida Panhandle and South-East US with the highest quality hardware from all over the world. These guys are an FII-accredited institution and are absolute legends! They instruct Levels 1 & 2, a Waterman Survival Course, and a Spearfishing Course, among many others that they do privately for some of the military folks in the FL panhandle.
Mike and Joe are seasoned Spearos and have had some *seriously* impressive Pelagics on the other end of their spearguns! These guys shoot some of the largest and most epic fish available in Gulf of Mexico waters, and his Chief Instructor Joe D’Agostino instructs and travels throughout the freediving and spearfishing community worldwide. We’re sure you’re going to enjoy this conversation!
11:00 Early Obstacles
14:00 What is “Benthic”?
15:00 How did you get involved and put together as a Freediving Shop?
16:00 The Path Of The Jedi
22:00 Favorite species to hunt…tune in for the Panhandle’s most desirable species
27:00 FL Panhandle’s Freedive Spearo Club – Agua Verdes
30:00 Tough situations out in Blue Water
44:00 Veterans Vault: Dyneema vs Mono | Timber vs Pipe | Equipment Discussion
- Americans with wood guns and mono…what are you guys doing?
- The Benthic Boys think Dyneema is the right stuff – why?
- Line memory – what is it?
- Critical knots to use and why.
- “Game Changer” – what’s a quick-disconnect knot and why’s it important?
- Line management and tangles
- Reels vs. Floatlines
- Reel Gun safety – Tension, tension, tension!
- Don’t be married to your equipment – “You can buy a new gun, you can’t buy a new Mike!”
- The importance of education and safety within the freedive spearfishing community
- Best Buddy Practices – “Finality is Reality”
- Minimum safety requirements – One up-One down, learn your buddy’s “dive profile”
- Courses offered at Benthic Ocean Sports (FII Levels 1 and 2, Waterman Course, Spearfishing Course
- The mental and physical benefits to spearfishing
80:00 Spearo Q&A
- What separates you from other spearos?
- What is the spearfishing destination you’d most like to visit?
- Most influential person in your spearfishing journey?
Connect with Mike Pooler & Joe D’Agostino at Benthic Ocean Sports @
- Benthic Ocean Sports Website
- Benthic Ocean Sports on Instagram
- Benthic Ocean Sports on Facebook
- Agua Verdes Spearfishing Club
- FII’s Official Instructor Profile for Joe D’Agostino
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save:)
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation |Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
Benthic is shit and absolute two faced on this podcast. They treat local spearos like crap. A dedicated Spearfishing/freediving brick and mortar store was sorely needed in NW Florida as a lifelong spearo I was excited when Benthic opened up a 1/4 mile from my house. However, over the course of 2 years and hundreds of dollars, I had several bad interactions, ranging from upselling, arrogance, bad customer service, unprofessionalism, and lack of integrity. On top of that they focus on catering to tourists, which is disappointing to the sport and the local area. This experience is not unique and the sentiment is felt by a lot of spearos in the area.
Only positive thing to say about this business is that I learned and gained several skills, like making my own bands and rigging my guns, because of the problems with dealing with Jon at Benthic and I found two incredible other spear fishing stores online. If you are looking for spear fishing equipment and tackle go to Petros from Spear America and/or Andrew from Nautilus.
I gave this store too many chances, one would think a specialty store would take care of its customers. Rick you’re cool and Mike let me know when you fire Jon and I might think about shopping there again.