Interview with Sam Dawson
Sam Dawson has tonnes of experience diving all around Australia and regularly dives competitions. Today’s chat has some really good insights into equipment and thinking about setups. We also get right into scrounging which is a collection of techniques for effective hunting in temperate waters. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about muffling equipment, entering caves effectively and even some ideas about how to use a torch. Listen in:)
- Noob Spearo Patreon Page | Money Raised $419
- Rubbish Spearos Facebook Group | Spearfishing Cleanup Crew
- Use #onefishoneplastic #catchandclean
- Noob Spearo YouTube Channel GoPro Spearfishing Tips
5:00 Sam’s introduction to spearfishing. Early lessons learned.
9:00 Memorable Fish – Dhufish W.A
13:30 Early Mentors: Mary-Anne Stacey – seven-time Australian Ladies Spearfishing Champion
39:00 Toughest Situation being chomped on by a shark in the middle of nowhere
52:00 Veterans Vault: Scrounging and Effectively Hunting Temperate Waters
72:00 Sam’s Dive Bag
74:00 Spearo Q&A
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world.
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
- 28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a freediver. Learn the proven strategies competitive freedivers use to strengthen their performance.
- Equalization Masterclass. If you are freediver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to Valsalva and hello to Frenzal and make equalizing easy.
- Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
- Free online courses – How to take a 20-30% bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
- View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.