Interview with Spencer Allen
Today’s episode is with Spencer Allen from California. He is an all in spearo that has fully embraced the lifestyle and has been a big contributor to the 99 Spearo Recipes book. His cooking is even better than his spearfishing! After losing all his gear in a house fire, he stopped hunting and never really got back into it until he started kayak fishing. After being smashed attempting a big surf launch he almost gave it up again, but decided not to quit. He found some buddies to take him out again and ended up catching a 41 inch Halibut. He has been hooked ever since! Join us as we chat about spearfishing and cooking, the Channel Islands, finding buddies and ways to be a better spearo. Let us know what you think about this episode!
- 00:13 Intro and 99 Spearo Recipes messages
- 05:25 Welcome Spencer! Tell us about yourself!
- 09:07 What is a yard sale and how do you launch in the surf?
- 11:39 I hooked a 41 inch Halibut!
- 12:18 What is your fishing/hunting history?
- 13:58 Spencer Allen Youtube
- 14:30 How did you transition from the surface to hunting underwater?
- 16:27 Spearfishing clubs vs doing a course
- 19:47 Paying someone to help you start vs taking someone out
- 20:54 How did you find buddies and into the spearfishing community?
- 22:46 First experience with a pole spear
- 23:37 Tell us about the first pole spear you got and how you have upgraded it
- 25:23 Scallop foraging and hunting groups that go after only 1 species
- 27:37 Tips for bringing in fish and your first Sheepshead
- 29:39 I feel more like an otter, explain. Dive Camp Videos pt 1 and pt 2
- 31:44 Decision making in spearfishing
- 33:40 Establishing fundamentals and experimenting with different ideas
- 38:38 Meat Eater and hunting mammals
- 40:01 Nature is brutal and cruel at times
- 40:50 Have you cooked with Octopus?
- 41:27 Umami – tell us more
- 43:39 Overcooking – how do you cook your fish for the right time?
- 45:02 Why do people think that undercooked meat is unsafe?
- 47:31 99 Spearo Recipes that you have submitted
- 49:33 As we get better we target better tasting species – this can take away from our cooking skills
- 52:10 “What can I do with what I have?”
- 54:47 Tell us about Uni – urchins, why do people automatically turn their nose up at it?
- 57:15 Flavour profiles of urchin in different areas and time
- 01:00:52 Getting trophy scallops on oil rigs
- 01:04:08 You work in a high pressure career and decided to take a sabbatical which lead you into making videos
- 01:09:05 Who are your favourite influential spearos?
- 01:10:22 Stewardship vs Gate Keeping: finding buddies and making spearfishing welcoming to people
- 01:15:00 Values, circumstances and interests: being clear about what you goals are and difficult conversations
- 01:18:44 Boats vs kayak fishing – kayak’s have their own appeal
- 01:21:04 Memorable experiences in the Channel Islands
- 01:22:18 What are the conditions like in the Channel Islands?
- 01:23:45 What are the funniest stories you have from spearfishing? Punching to dispatch
- 01:28:00 Do you still fish from the surface?
- 01:29:27 Freediving community in SoCal and equalizing
- 01:32:21 Freediving courses – is more than a level 1 necessary?
- 01:35:33 What’s in your gear bag?
- 01:39:26 Spearo Q&A
- Describe the spearfishing experience in 1 sentence
- Most influential people in spearfishing
- If you had to start all over, what would you do differently?
- Who’s the best person to go spearfishing with?
- What is your dream spearfishing destination?
- What do you do to combat imposter syndrome
- 01:44:04 Last piece of advice
- 01:44:43 Outro
Listen in and subscribe on iOS or Android https://link.chtbl.com/Download_This_Episode
Noob Spearo Partners and Discount Codes
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Neptonics Spearfishing and Freediving – Use the code NOOB10 to save 10% off anything store-wide. Free Shipping on USA orders over $99
- Get 20% OFF @manscaped + Free Shipping with promo code NOOBSPEARO at MANSCAPED.com! #ad #manscapedpod
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save $30 on any speargun:)
- Adam Sterns FreedivingFamily.com use the code SPEARO to get 20% off any course and the code NOOBSPEARO to get 40% off any and all courses!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation (CODE: NOOB28 for 15% off) | Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Old Man Blue | Wickedly tough and well thought out gear! Check out their Lobster Bag HERE
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’
- The Best Place to Find Fishing Buddies and Fishing Trips | Fishing Trips (fishingtripsapp.com)
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
Hey, Shreck awesome podcast I love listening to it always waiting for the next podcast. The podcast really gets good messages and tips and is helping me get better at spearfishing. Also had a question about when the 99 spearo recipe book will be out for sale.
Thanks for the awesome podcast, Isaiah
Hi Isaiah, it will hopefully hit shelves next May, 2022. If you’d like to back the Kickstarter and get an early copy, check this out https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shrekspear/99-spearo-recipes