Interview with Michael Isbey | Matakana Fish Smoker
Matakana Smokehouse Purveyor Michael Isbey joins me to discuss the art (and science) of smoking fish. We chat different types of smokers, brine, fish preparation, what types of fish are great to smoke, ways to serve smoked fish and more. This is a geekout on the Art of Smoking Fish with a bloody good bloke. Listen in to this episode of the Noob Spearo Podcast on your podcast app of choice here!
02:40 Michael Isbey from Matakana Smokehouse Introduction
15:30 The Art of Smoking Fish Veterans Vault
- Smokers? Basic to high end. Costs, brands, pros and cons. Good home units.
26:00 Taking care of fish after the catch. Ike Jime, cutting out the gills, gutting the fish and further preparation
28:40 What kinds of fish work best for smoking?
30:30 How thick should the fillets be? Time considerations. How do you adjust for fish size etc
31:00 Brine | benefits? My mate doesn’t like to wet brine at all, he can’t get it right, they just turn salty. However with dry brine, his smoked fish tastes awesome.
- Dry Brine: Rubs and ingredients | secret sauce. Things to experiment with. Planning experiments.
37:00 Serving smoked fish. What is the best? Miso, sandwiches, fresh out of the smoker, pies, pate, salads etc
40:00 Formula vs Art | Is smoking fish a science or an art?
41:45 Smoking other stuff | mussels, octopus, squid, venison, beef?
49:00 Michael’s Favorite Fish to Hunt | Tips and Tricks for New Zealand Snapper
53:00 Toughest Situation on the Ocean
55:10 Funniest Time out Spearfishing
57:45 Spearo Q&A
- Matakana Smokehouse Website | Instagram | Facebook
- Josh Niland | The Whole Fish Cookbook
- Analog Electric Smoker
- Weber 18-inch Smokey Mountain Cooker, Charcoal Smoker
- Masterbuilt MB20070210 Analog Electric Smoker with 3 Smoking Racks
Matakana Smokehouse, New Zealand
- Located on the Corner of Sharps Rd and Matakana Road. Warkworth, New Zealand
- Call +64 20 4010 7815
- Boutique Smokehouse with a preference for organic ingredients
- NZ food awards finalist
Noob Spearo Partners + Promotions
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout – Flat shipping rate, especially in AUS!
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world. International subscription available!
- Penetrator Fins Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $25 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30-day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- KillShot Spearguns | Simple, Effective, Dependable Wooden Spearguns. Use the Code NOOB to save:)
- Immersion Online freediving classes | 28-day Freediving Transformation |Equalization Masterclass – Roadmap to Frenzel | Free Courses | Freediving Safety Course | How to Take a 25-30% Bigger Breath!
- How To Freedive | The 5 minute Freediver | Break the 10 Meter Barrier – Use the code NOOBSPEARO to save $
- Noob Spearo MAD GEAR | ‘Spearo Dad’ | ‘Girls with Gills’ | ‘Jobfish Tribute’