“This delicious crowd pleaser of a recipe is perfect for when you are having a few guests over and want to put on a good feed. We have used a coastal fingermark in this exact recipe here but you could try whichever whole fish you’d like. One whole fish around that 45cm mark will happily feed 2 people, top it off with some nice fresh greens as a side and your onto a winner. We hope you guys enjoy this dish just as much as we do, cheers!” – Jordan Hunter @the_hunter_downunder
For the fish
- Medium whole fish, filleted and cut into chunks. Keep the frame for presentation
- Tapioca flour
- Rice bran oil – for shallow frying
- 3/4 cup of soy sauce
- 3/4 cup sushi seasoning
- 2 Tbs ginger, grated
Use the soy sauce, sushi seasoning and ginger to marinade the fish frame and chunks. Leave in fridge for 1-3 hours.
Heat oil in pan, coat marinated fish frame in tapioca flour. Shallow fry. Repeat with marinated fish chunks.
Place cooked fish chunks on the frame for presentation.
Chilli tamarind dipping sauce
- 1/2 cup coriander, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 long fresh red chillies, coarsely chopped 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 Tbsp tamarind concentrate
- 1/3 cup shaved palm sugar
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1-2 tbsp water
Blend coriander, garlic, chilli and salt to a paste in the nutri bullet. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat and stir-fry the paste for 1 minute until aromatic. Add the shallot and ginger. Stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add tamarind, sugar and fish sauce. Simmer for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
Lime and coriander drizzle
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp garlic
- 1 chilli, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup of coriander, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cubes of palm sugar, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
All ingredients in a pouring dish, mix well and let sit for 30 mins to infuse.