Melbourne Spearfishing 101
This is a live panel interview recorded instore at Adreno, Melbourne. Panel members included Sven Franklin (Club Spearfish President), Luke Latham (Adreno Store Manager), James Beckam (@southernspearfishing) and myself. This is a pretty comprehensive chat covering seasons, species, predominant conditions, locations and nearly everything else a spearo visiting/living in the area might be interested in. Listen in:)
Download This Episode On Your Podcast App
Connect with the Melbourne boys
- James on Insta
- Luke Latham on Insta
- Sven on Insta
- Eckarts Interview | Catching Crayfish
04:00 Introduction with Luke Latham
12:40 Developing skills on Melbourne Species
17:15 Finding the right locations, understanding the seasons and movements of fish
20:20 Apps that are useful in the area.
- Google Earth
- Windy weather app
25:00 Rules and Regulations for spearfishing
26:20 Community Q&A
- What are the legal requirements for a dive float and flag in Victoria?
FOR SPEAROS in Victoria, any vessel with divers operating from it must always display signals by day or night to inform other vessel users. The daytime diver below signal is the international Code Flag ‘A’, at least 750 mm long and 600 mm wide for vessels less than 10 metres in length.
FOR ALL BOAT/JETSKI USERS on Victorian waters a five knot speed limit applies to all operators within:
- 50 m of a person, for example a swimmer
- 50 m of another vessel
- 100 m of a vessel or buoy on which a ‘diver below’ signal corresponding to the International Code Flag ‘A’ is displayed – a white/blue flag.
21:30 How can I improve my breathhold for spearfishing?
Sven “I would consider apnea walks for improving my breathhold for spearfishing. So apnea walks are basically holding your breath and counting the number of paces you take” More information about improving your breathhold for spearfishing can be found here
35:00 Jetski Spearfishing? How do you anchor? Is losing equipment an issue?
37:00 How do you find good ground for finding squid?
The best ground is Southern Port Phillip Bay. Queenscliffe, Portsea through to Rye. But you can find them everywhere at the right times of year.
40:00 How do you find crayfish in Melbourne and capture one successfully?
To catch crayfish while freedivin in Victoria it’s helpful to have a torch for looking caves, cracks and under rocks. You also need robust gloves as the spines are rough and you need to protect your hands. Find cracks and caves that are relatively protected from current. When you get hold of the crayfish don’t grab the feelers, go for the base of the horns.
45:30 Do you ever target gummy sharks?
48:20 What is your typical breath hold while spearfishing in Melbourne?
A range of breathholds from the panel was 30 seconds to 70 seconds for most Melbourne spearfishing. These are all experienced divers who dive often.
52:00 Any tips for hunting Yellowtail Kingfish successfullly?
Svens advice “Time in the water off Cape Shank or Phillip Island”
James “Deal with the excitement and try and calm down. Get some exposure to being in the water around them. Go to New Zealand”
Check out the ‘How to Spearfish Kingfish Tutorial’ on Vimeo – Use the CODE: NOOBSPEARO
Spearfishing Clubs in Melbourne are:
- Club Spearfish
- Geelong Freedivers
- Southern Freedivers
If you are looking for a spearfishing club in your area check out our club contacts here
Download This Episode On Your Podcast App
Noob Spearo Partners + some spearfishing discounts
- Adreno Spearfishing – Buy your spearfishing equipment here. Use the code NOOBSPEARO save $20 on every purchase over $200 at checkout.
- Audible.com Get a free audiobook along with a 30 day trial here. Listen to 99 Tips to Get Better at Spearfishing
- Spearing Magazine Subscribe to the best spearfishing magazine in the world.
- Penetrator Fins Use the code noobspearo to save $20 on the full Penetrator Spearfishing Fin Range here.
- How to Spearfish Video Series with Aquatic Rehab TV: use the code NOOBPEARO to save!
- Spearo Log available on Amazon here
Immersion Online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.ImmersionFreediving.com
- 28-day Freediving Transformation. Want to increase your bottom time? Want to lower your comfortable operating depth? Want to increase your breath hold? In 4 weeks you can transform your physiology to improve your performance as a freediver. Learn the proven strategies competitive freedivers use to strengthen their performance.
- Equalization Masterclass. If you are freediver who struggles to equalize your ears in the 15-30 ft range this course is the answer. 14 videos discuss every equalizing problem and coach you through the difficulty. Say goodbye to Valsalva and hello to Frenzal and make equalizing easy.
- Tuesday Ted Talks Freediving. 19 one hour live Instagram episodes where I discuss a variety of freediving topics and answer peoples question live on Instagram.
- Free online courses – How to take a 20-30% bigger breath and how to make the mammalian dive reflex work for you. www.FreedivingSafety.com – Free online safety resource.
- View all of Ted’s online freediving classes @ www.onlineclasses.ImmersionFreediving.com